Tuesday 1 November 2016

Cinema of Taiwan :)

Image result for taipei 101

This week we are going to talk about the cinema of Taiwan! For Taiwan is deeply rooted in the island's unique history. Since it's introduction to Taiwan in 1901 under Japanese rule, cinema has developed in Taiwan through several distinct stages. It has also developed outside of the Hong Kong mainstream and censorship of  the People's Republic of China.

New wave cinema 1982-1990

The Taiwanese film industry was under serious challenges, such as the entry of Hong Kong films, well known for their entertainment quality, into the Taiwanese market.

Second new wave 1990-2010

The new wave gradually gave way to what could be informally called the second new wave, which are slightly less serious and more amenable to the populace, although just as committed to portraying the Taiwanese perspective.

Revival of Taiwanese films after Cape No. 7

In 2008, Cape no.7 directed by Wei Te Sheng was a huge box office success in Taiwanese film history. It ranked 530 million TWD domestically, setting all-time box office record for Taiwanese film.
It also has won 15 awards to date.
The record breaking achievement led to the revival of Taiwanese cinema!

My favourites:

Image result for our times

Our times! I remember me looking at the poster and i'm like "neh" the poster looks kind of too cartoon-ish. Until when my friends told me how good the movie is!
A heartwarming coming to age film that I really love! This is one very popular movie that smashed box office records throughout Asia! It portray a love story between a normal nerdy high school girl and a gangster.
I really enjoy the film! It is one of my favourite movie from Taiwan to date! The film really reminds me of my secondary school days and bring back memories of my past! Although the last 10 minutes of the film is a little over exaggerating but over all is a A from me!

Another film that I love..
You Are the Apple of My Eye film poster.jpg
You are the apple of my eye! I really love this film! I remember watching this film when I was 16 back then! It is also an heartwarming coming to age movie that is really spot on for me!
The movie and the sound track are relatively good! The movie revolves around a love story of a prankster which is very mischievous student and a honor student who was very popular with boys.
The movie was well received by critics and set new box office records! Overall is also an A for me one of my favorites from Taiwan cinema.

No comments:

Post a Comment